Sunday, January 11, 2015

Review: Pieces of Me by Kira Adams




Author: Kira Adams
Series: Book 1, The Foundation Series
Publisher: Self-Published
Released: August 11, 2014

Official Synopsis
For sixteen year old Peyton Lane, life has never been easy. She’s not popular, overweight, and oh yeah, her sister is embarrassed of her. But over the course of a tumultuous year, everything changes for Peyton. Suddenly all eyes are on her and it’s not because she’s fat. From a pair of handsome twins to a couple of dangerously sexy rockers, Peyton will have to find out who she can trust with her heart. From the ups and downs to the twists and turns—this is Peyton’s story of finding one’s voice and growing into your own.
This is a coming of age romance that involves realistic situations and raw emotions. This is Pieces of Me.


My Review:
I thoroughly enjoyed Pieces of Me!! The beginning pulled me in and left me wanting to know more because as the reader you want to know why Peyton has chosen this path in life.  The ending, when Peyton and Jace begin their senior year, was a little vague of an ending to the story, but definitely left me thinking about the characters of the story and what was next for them, not only in life, but in their relationships as well - which, in my opinion, is the best way to end a book. 

I do not know about most people, but when I am reading a book and there is something that I am unsure of, I investigate and look it up.  Such was the case with the camping trip.  When Jace started describing what the two of them would stay in, a yurt, I gathered from the text that it was like a cabin or a hut, but definitely not a tent.  So, being unsure exactly what a yurt was, I Google imaged it.  I must say, from the pictures I saw, they are beautiful and fit wonderfully into the story.

I loved how every chapter began with a poem or a song, as I too write poetry and express myself, much like Peyton, through my writing.  It gave you insight to what the next chapter was about.  When I started the first chapter the poem "Bone Breakin' (unfinished)" was definitely the best title for the poem.  I suspected the (unfinished) was not supposed to be part of the tittle, but after reading the first poem and completing the first chapter I thought it was very fitting.  Peyton attempted to end her life in the first chapter and leaving (unfinished) in the tittle made me think of it as her life was unfinished.  

The characters worked well together and the story flowed between each of them well.  The story is believable and understandable.  I could relate to Peyton, as I am sure most high school girls could as well as those who have already experienced and been through high school.  High school can be a difficult time for teenage girls, especially those who are overweight, attempting to find herself and who she truly is, family struggles, mixed emotions and signals, and eventually it all being too much and calling it quits.

I give this book: 4.5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment