Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Interview: Author J.D. Estrada

Meet J. D. Estrada

Biography:
Born on August 13th, 1980, JD Estrada shares birthdays with Fidel Castro and Alfred Hitchcock. Seeing as his mother is Cuban and he loves writing, it’s easy to deduce which of these figures he most prefers to be associated with. Here Puerto Rican by birth and nurture, that didn’t stop JD from picking up English fluently at an early age. You can chock that one up to Hannah Barbera, Scooby-Doo and countless other cartoons. 

From an early age, JD always said he wanted to be an inventor, he just didn’t know he’d end up doing it using words. Having had his entire formal education in Puerto Rico, the love for the ocean is something that is definitely closely associated to many of his works. 

A graduate of Psychology, Advertising and Marketing, JD began his professional career down the path of advertising and later on to communications and public relations. In 2004 he got the itch to finally put to paper the idea he’d had for a book. The inception of Only Human came about while chatting, listening to Bach and watching a commercial on TV for Underworld that made him say, “I can write something like that.” What began as a vampire book quickly evolved to 200 pages of research into the exploration of humanity via fiction and sure, there are vampires in the book. Fast forward through 7 different jobs, freelance work including advertising, editorials, translation and all things communication, he published Only Human in 2013 and his life has changed completely. 

Also a proficient blogger, JD found his calling and decided to take the indie route because too often he’d had revisions to most if not all of his work, the pains of working in communications. Not this time though, this time a book would be drafted, edited, proofread and promoted through his blog, through social media and connecting with people. His work, his rules. 

During this process, he also rekindled his love for poetry and has released two poetry collections titled Between the Tides and Dark Strands. A third collection is also finalized and will be forthcoming. Currently hard at work on the sequel to Only Human, JD still takes time to post on his blog and connect with anyone kind enough to swing by his Facebook author page or who are wonderful enough to send an email. So by all means, show your human side and connect. You will definitely get signs of life.

Book Blurbs:
Only Human

Nathaniel Runnels isn’t a fan of life. He isn’t a fan of the news, which is a bust because he’s a reporter. He’s lost faith in journalism, in the truth, in civilization and in himself. So it’s quite the surprise when he gets swept up in a quest to save the world. Perception and reality collide as one man faces one question, would you sacrifice your humanity to save mankind? 

Only Human is a tale where the truth is revealed about vampires, about therians (make sure you don’t call them werewolves), about angels, about demons, the photogeni plant people and humanity as we supposedly know it. This isn’t your typical book, these aren’t your typical vampires and what has been said is fiction, may actually be truer than the history you’ve been sold.

Between the Tides

This collection from J.D. Estrada is his second published book and his first volume of poetry to show that inspiration can come from life, loss, illness, love, a block of cheese or whatever.


Dark Strands

Born from his love for dark poetry, Dark Strands is an exploration to the darker side of our psyche. 22 poems dealing with murder, anger, vampires, lust and teeth are your invitation to step into the shadow. After all, the worst thing that can happen is that you like it.

Teaser:
Captured Moments
The third poetry collection to be released within a year, Captured Moments is a true exploration of poetry, emotions and all the different ways we can capture all those wonderful, indecipherable things we feel.

Buy Links:
Only Human:

Between The Tides:

Dark Strands:

Social Media: 
@twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Google+ you can find me by searching for JDEstradawriter

Interview:
1. What inspires your writing?
Honestly life in general inspires my writing. I fuel off my experiences and love the concept of humanity and how we express it. When I research though that’s when you see that anything can spark an interesting idea which inevitably leads me to writing. My life is endlessly richer by writing and I always work extra hard to let myself come through what I commit to paper. It could be a novel or a thank you note, it doesn’t matter. The effort will be put into making it something memorable because there is power in words and I often enjoy using it to make others smile or at least get them hooked on a story. 

2. Have you always wanted to be an author?
I’ve wanted to be a writer for a long time though I wasn’t clear on it until I was in my mid-twenties. Amazing, even in that I was a late bloomer. Still, writing is a vital part of my genetic makeup and I don’t know who I’d be if I didn’t write, it’s that important to me. 

3. Who are your favorite authors?
JK Rowling, Neil Gaiman, Frank Herbert, HP Lovecraft, Tolkien, Douglas Adams, Nietzsche and Edgar Allan Poe are the authors who have had the most profound impact in my life. The magic in JK and Neil’s work helps my imagination soar and truly push me to break boundaries in regards to where a story can go. Frank Herbert’s Dune is the single most real piece of science fiction I’ve read and although the entire series is amazing, that first book just blew me away. Lovecraft is the ONLY author I’ve read so far that has crept into my dreams and nightmares. His attention to detail was just so terrible and terrifying. One of my favs for sure. Tolkien for his part is the fantasy work that feels the most real to me to the extent that I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re actually living a second or third age of man and that Middle Earth actually did exist. Douglas Adams and Carl Hiaasen are the authors who’ve most made me laugh out loud from their brilliant work. Adams was more cerebral while Hiaasen was just full on raw black humor. When it comes to deep thoughts, Nietzsche consistently makes me take notes in his books. Just a brilliant guy who pushed the boundaries to what was allowable in written form. And Edgar Allan Poe, well thanks to him I can smile easier on a rainy day and always nod to a raven or any other black bird that crosses my path. 

4. What would you say to someone who is just starting out as a writer?
Be yourself, listen to your heart, insist and focus on the work. Some people will tell you that you can or can’t do it, that’s for you to decide. It’s not an easy route and nowadays a lot of people want to be writers. So that said, don’t do it for the money, do it for yourself and to allow a piece of yourself to live forever. Anything else is a bonus. 

5. Do you ever put any part of yourself in you characters?
Do I ever not include myself in my works? That’s the question. In Only Human, Daniel and Nathaniel do have parts of who I am although there’s actually a literary version of myself and my actual real self. Let me explain, in Only Human and other works, there is a character called Fäet Odstein… That’s my literary incarnation. In the Daydreams on the Sherbet Shore, I actually make an appearance in each of the stories since the characters that aren’t from Draem are actually people whom I know from real life, whom I’ve gotten consent to include in fantastical adventures. In addition, story-lines and topics always obey topics that are driving me at the moment.

6. How old where you when your first book was published?
I was 32 when my first book published. It’s amazing how much you can change in 2 and a half years.

7. How many books have you written? What are their titles?
I’ve published Only Human, Between the Tides and Dark Strands. Thanks to the next question, I can keep this answer real short. LOL

8. Do you have any more books coming out? What are their titles?
I have an upcoming poetry collection titled Captured Moments and the sequel to Only Human out this year if all goes to plan. There’s also a sci-fi novella about halfway done, a Young Adult book about 30% done, a Spanish poetry collection that’s almost done and a bilingual poetry, short story and essay collection which is around 70% completed. The titles I don’t give is because I haven’t registered in the Library of Congress and to me, no copyright, no book. Oh and there’s also a physical version of the Daydreams coming out soon. 

9. What do you hope readers take from your books?
I like writing things that invite people to think. Being a fan of certain philosophers, I’ve grown to be who I am through copious amounts of questioning. In addition, I want people to see female characters that rock, twists on gender roles, established paradigms and for people to read something they’ve never read before. With poetry, I want to leave space for people to add their spin to the message they receive at times. In regards to the daydreams, I honestly just want people to smile and have a great time although I think that applies to everything I write. I want someone to finish reading anything I wrote and to feel satisfied with how they invested their time. 

10. What do you do to get ready to write?
Get paper, get pen, get headphones on and zone out. That’s about as much of a mantra and method as I use. I also always have a spare notebook and a stray word document open to capture ideas and thoughts. Basically ANYTHING that can serve as a capture tool has been used and many a time I’ve given thanks to a stray napkin that helped me remember an idea. :D

11. Do you ever get writers block? What helps you get past it?
I sometimes might lose enthusiasm to write on a certain project though I’m not one much for writer’s block. I am always working on a variety of projects and that’s how I combat writer’s block. By forcing my brain to switch channels it never feels as if I’m getting stuck and if I’m not working on one thing, it’s definitely another that’s getting my attention. There are also various things I do to keep the mind alert. Calligraphy exercises, writing with my left hand, reading, researching and doing countless random mental exercises among other things are just a few things I do to keep rolling. 

12. What is your favorite type of book to read? Does that type influence your books?
Although I’m often one for science fiction and fantasy, I really enjoy keeping a varied reading list. I’ve never been one to limit myself and if it’s good writing, I’ll read it. That said, I’m currently reading works by Carl Jung and Nietzche (philosophy and psychology), reading a poetry collection, reading John C. Maxwell (lifestyle, self-help), an indie romance book, just finished Howl’s Moving Castle and as part of my research for the second installment in the Human Cycle, I’m reading Only Human for the first time in its physical version (quite the experience I might add). As for what I read, it definitely influences what I write and topics I enjoy exploring. 

Fun Facts:
1. Favorite food: Ooohhh this is a toughie because I’m a foodie. Ok, I love lobster and crab, am a huge fan of steak and really enjoy sushi. I’m the type of person that loves to try new dishes and weird foods. This means that yes, I’ve had ostrich, kangaroo, jellyfish and urchin for dinner. :D
2. Favorite color: Black. It’s a color that’s always resonated with me because I think there’s an elegance and timelessness to black that most other colors lack. 
3. Favorite sweet treat: Oh lord… to pick one…. That’s the challenge because I’m a HUGE sweet tooth. One of my favorite candy bars is Zero although if you get me on a tangent, I won’t stop. I love old school treats and new candies and actually am a sucker for marketing ploys since I studied marketing. If I see NEW; oh trust that I want to try it. I’m also a huge fan of Japanese candies like Poki and Hi-Chew. :D
4. Favorite mixed drink: Chili pepper martini, margarita, watermelon mojito or something complicated. I love mixology and really enjoy that it’s re-surged to the point where you can go from bar to bar and face completely new cocktail adventures. Hell, I even had a cocktail with celery as the main ingredient. Just AWESOME. Still, I’ll choose wine and beer over most mixed drinks most days.
5. Favorite thing to shop for: Music and books. I’m not a fan of shopping but even to this day I love going to record stores and every time I can go to a large one, I’m there :D
6. Lucky number: #4. It’s a number that has been with me since I was born. Also keen on 13. :D
7. Favorite book: The Harry Potter Series is probably my favorite followed by the Sandman Graphic Novels. 
8. Favorite movie: Oh geez, another hard one. Let’s switch the answer up, the movie I’ve watched the most in my life, by far is Big Trouble in Little China. :D And yes, I do want to write the script for a sequel.
9. Favorite song: Seeing as I have over 1,300 cds, an additional 200 cds with MP3 music and over 130 GB of music there… that’s quite the question I’m sure I can’t answer. Off the top of my head though, Given to Fly by Pearl Jam. It’s a song that’s very special to me.
10. Favorite sport: Body-boarding. It’s defined my life and it is one of the best feelings in the world to be on a wave. Apart from that, boxing is my other vice though I don’t practice it. 

What is something everyone should know about you?
I will always write from the purest of me, I won’t write something to sell, I won’t switch a plot point to please and I will write for as long as I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment