Sunday, November 6, 2016

Interview: Author Dahlia Donovan


The Misguided Confession

Blurb:

Elaine Gibbs has been defined by other people’s words for much of her life: autistic, shifter, adopted, genius, Royal Marine. She has spent a year having her entire world spun around and just when she hopes things have stabilized, a zealot threatens everything she holds dear, including her life.

Alim Kader grew up knowing his family’s expectations and is required to fall in line. Life, however, threw him a massive surprise in the body of the most fascinating woman he has ever known. Now if he could only convince her that his sole desire is to stand beside her, not rescue her.

Will love be enough for two people from different worlds to brave a storm of evil and come through the other side unscathed?


 Teasers:



  
Bio:
Dahlia Donovan wrote her first romance series after a crazy dream about shifters and damsels in distress.  She prefers irreverent humour and unconventional characters.  An autistic and occasional hermit, her life wouldn’t be complete without her husband and her massive collection of books and video games.   

Buy Link: http://books2read.com/misguided 



Interview:


1.   What inspires your writing? 
Life, hot men, other books, photography.  You can find inspiration just about everywhere.

2.   Have you always wanted to be an author? 
I have. I wrote my first story when I was nine or ten, maybe younger? I don’t remember, I do remember it was about a bear.  Deep stuff.

3.   Who are your favorite authors?
Jane Austen.
Seriously.

4.   What would you say to someone who is just starting out as a writer?
Whenever I get questions about advice for writers, I say the same thing—always take advice on writing with a grain of salt. You’ll find people will have differing opinions on all things creative, so do what works for you.

5.   Do you ever put any part of yourself in you characters?
Yes, and no.  I think it’s impossible not to do it a little.  Elaine, the main character in The Misguided Confession, has probably the most of myself that I’ve ever put into a novel.

6.   How old where you when your first book was published?
In my thirties.

7.   How many books have you written? What are their titles?
Published books? Not including all the novels from the Blackbird series (which are now only available in The Blackbird Anthology), I have written two novels.   The novels are: After the Scrum and The Misguided Confession.

8.   Do you have any more books coming out? What are their titles?
I do in November I have a novel, The Misguided Confession, and a novella, Found You, coming out.  Next year, I’m anticipating at least two MM novels along with one or two novellas—stay tuned.

9.   What do you hope readers take from your books?
Outside of simply enjoying a good story, I hope readers learn love and acceptance from my books. It might be a lofty goal, but one can only hope.

10. What do you do to get ready to write?
Music. Tea.  That’s about it. I don’t really have a ritual when it comes to writing.

11. Do you ever get writers block? What helps you get past it?
Not usually. I try to treat writing as if it’s a day job.  I’d have to sit and work in an office, so it’s the same with writing.  It works—mostly.

12. What is your favorite type of book to read? Does that type influence your books?
My favorite type of book to read is usually regency romance, or historical. I’m a bit obsessed with the Tudor period, so I read a lot of non-fiction as well.

I avoid reading books in the genres I write.  I never want to accidentally plagiarize because I read something which stuck in my mind.  So, I make a conscious decision to only read out of my genre. 

Fun Facts!
1.   Favorite food: Lately? It’s been Shepherd’s Pie.
2.   Favorite color: Blue
3.   Favorite sweet treat: It used to be chocolate, but lately it’s been anything with lemon in it. Maybe lemon bars.
4.   Favorite mixed drink: I don’t drink alcohol as it makes me sleepy. My favorite drink is Lemon Chiffon Tea from Republic of Tea.
5.   Favorite thing to shop for: Mugs. (I have a collection).
6.   Lucky number: Don’t have one.
7.   Favorite book: Persuasion by Jane Austen
8.   Favorite movie: Persuasion (the version with Ciaran Hinds)
9.   Favorite song: This week? It’s Send My Love by Adele.
10. Favorite sport: Football (as in soccer)

What is something everyone should know about you?
I collect mugs, scarves, and journals.

Oh, and I can curse it multiple languages. Important skill that.

No comments:

Post a Comment