Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Interview: Author Jenn Marie

Author Jenn Marie Spotlight with Interview

Meet Jenn Marie

Biography:
I am 30-years old, born and raised as a Louisiana Bayou Girl.
I have had trouble with my vision for my entire life.  It has only worsened since I got into my 20s.  I’ve never let it stop me from pursuing my dreams and I've always believed in following my heart. Which has led me to becoming an author.  I survived Hurricane Katrina, but lost all of my writing projects I had started from a young age, about 12, and had to start over.  This was disappointing and depressing.  It was a big setback and I went 6 years without writing anything except a few pieces here and there.  Now I'm back in the game and hoping that my stories are enjoyed by those who read them.  I know what I write is not cutout for everybody, as it's more on the Contemporary Romance side with an erotic twist.  It also has a bit of suspense and that's not everyone’s cup of tea.  I believe every romance has passion along with ups and downs, that is why I write what I write.  I am not the typical girl next-door that you would expect.  I have more tattoos than most.  To be honest I have over 100 and I'm still adding to my collection. I don’t have any children, but I do have 2 dogs that take up as much time as a baby would.  I used to have horses before Katrina hit and I really miss that. I hope that one day I can get them back.  The main thing you should know about me is, I'm not in this for the money.  I'm in this to get my stories out there and to hopefully bring an escape from the realities, stress and worries of every day life for my readers.  I hope that having the disability I do with my sight and still accomplishing my dreams can be an inspiration to those who also have disabilities.  To not give up on what they believe in and to motivate them.  Dreams can come true as long as they don't give up.  That's one thing I was taught growing up, never give up!  I fought for my dream, went around a few obstacles and was able to overcome it all and get published. 
The Book: 
Unexpected Love, a love on the Bayou Book
Blurb:

Teasers:



Buy Links:

Follow Links:
Twitter: @jenn_marie84

Interview:


1. What inspires your writing? 

My inspiration for my writing comes from hopes, dreams, life experiences and a touch of Fantasy. 

2. Have you always wanted to be an author? 

Yes, from as far back as I can remember. I have always wanted to write books, to be other peoples escape. Books have always been my escape from reality, even when I was a small child, and I want to provide that for others.


3. Who are your favorite authors? 

Oh wow, the list is so long. Let me name a few, but this does not cover all of them. Trust me the list is a long one. (they are not in any particular order)
  • Reanne Rose
  • JJ Kinght
  • Maya Banks
  • H.M. Ward
  • E.L. James
  • Nicholas Sparks
  • Billie Jo Hanlin 


4. What would you say to someone who is just starting out as a writer?

Write what's in your heart. Write the story that you would want to read. Don't let the critics change your dream and don't let the bad reviews break you. Because they will kick you in the gut, you have to get back up and keep going. You can't please everybody so don't try to. If writing is your dream and that's what's in your heart, that's what you have to follow. 

5. Do you ever put any part of yourself in you characters?
Yes, from time to time I do. I put a part of myself here and there, and in different characters. For example, Bailey has tattoos like I do, well in the sense that she has more tattoos than most women, but I try to keep my characters as fictionalized as possible. I won’t lie, a part of me does slip into each one of my characters from time to time without me realizing it.


6. How old where you when your first book was published?

I was 22 when my first book was published. It was a collection of poetry. I was 25 when my second collection of poetry was published and 31 when my first novel was published. However I have been featured in many collections of poetry since the age of 13. It's just now I'm taking my stories and turning them into novels for others to read and hopefully enjoy as much as I enjoy writing them. 

7. How many books have you written? What are their titles?
My first collection of poetry is titled, Poems from the Heart.
My second collection of poetry is titled, If It Takes All Life.
My first novel is titled. Unexpected Love 

8. Do you have any more books coming out? What are their titles?
Yes I do, my first novel is book one in a series of five books. The other four books I’m hoping to have all four put by Valentine's Day of 2016 Their titles are in order, Book 2 - Undying Love Book 3 - Breathtaking Love, Book 4 - Unbreakable Love, Book 5 - Endless love.
After this collection is finished I will be working on a series of novellas that are not yet titled but will take place in the world of the Love on the Bayou Series.


9. What do you hope readers take from your books?

I hope my books can bring readers an escape from reality for just a little while. To help them relax and go into a fantasy world, where all the stress and worries are gone for the time they are reading. I hope it brings them joy and happiness and keeps them on their toes until the end. I hope that they enjoy every minute they spend reading my books.


10. What do you do to get ready to write?

I get a large cup of French Vanilla Cappuccino, go into my library, where I have a special little notebook, I curl up with my tablet and start writing. I have to have complete quiet so I can concentrate. I can sit there for hours working on my stories, writing, editing and rereading what I wrote. I try to make my stories as perfect as I can.


11. Do you ever get writers block? What helps you get past it?

Yes I do and there are several things I do. A few tips I learned from other authors are read what I've written and see what I can add in or where I can pick up. Also to just take a break and walk away for a while, listen to music or one that works for me that might not work for most, is work on another story. I also sit down and brainstorm and take notes of where I want the story to go and what parts I want to work on. Then when I feel inspired again I start back on writing the story I want to tell. 

12. What is your favorite type of book to read? Does that type influence your books?

My favorite type of books are Erotic Romance, Contemporary Romance and Suspense. Yes all 3 do influence the type of books that I write. Although my books are more Contemporary Romance  they do have a bit of an erotic twist and some suspense. I tried to combined all 3 of what I love into one book, but give it my own southern twist to keep you on your toes. 

Tell us about your new novella/novel:

My novel Unexpected Love is a passionate romance that takes place in the Bayous of Louisiana where I was born and raised. It has something creeping around every turn of the page to keep you on your toes. Most of all it’s the most intense love story I could possibly come up with and I hope everybody enjoys reading it.

Fun Facts:
1. Favorite food:  Well growing up by the Bayou you would think my favorite food is seafood right? Wrong, I love a good Ribeye Steak. 

2.  Favorite colors:   Pink, white and black

3. Favorite sweet treat: Chocolate covered strawberries and any kind of cheesecake

4. Favorite mixed drink: Apple Martini, but I love my JD and Coke too and my Crown and seven.  I guess you can say I have 3 favorites.

5. Favorite thing to shop for?  Surprise, surprise I love to shop for books. I have a personal library in my home office that I hope to fill wall-to-wall with books. My favorite gift to receive are paper books or Kindle books so I can take them wherever I go. Most of all I enjoy getting signed books by author’s, those are my most valued and treasured possessions.

6. Lucky number: 21 and not because of the reason you think both my parents were born on the 21st of the month they were born in so my lucky number is 21

7. Favorite book: Right now I'm hooked on a set of two books. They are Battered but not Broken and Rough around the Edges by Ranae Rose. One is from his point of view and the other from hers. I absolutely love them

8. Favorite movie: I don't really watch much TV or movies, so I don't have a favorite movie.

9. Favorite song: Lessons Learned by Carrie Underwood

10. Favorite sport: Although I don't watch much TV I do love to watch MMA.

What is something everyone should know about you?

I am legally blind and mostly have sight in one eye. The sight in my other eye is very weak and has been for a long time. I don't let my disability stop me from chasing my dreams or following my heart. I may have obstacles to overcome, more than most, but I still fight to get where I want to be and be who I want to be. Every day has its own struggles for me because of my lack of vision, though I have some, it is nowhere near what everyone else has and is getting worse every year. Just being able to make my dreams come true of becoming an author is worth the fight and the battles I face every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment